Saturday, November 24, 2012

Spam and Cabbage Soup

I know this sounds really weird, because I thought the same thing when I first tried it at my mother-in-law's. It's actually really good! Make some cornmeal muffins to go with it and it's even better. The really cool thing is that you can get any flavor Spam you want and spice it up a little. (I did get the jalepeno one time and that was really good.)

1 Can tomato sauce
1 can any flavor Spam (I get the Lite to make me feel a little better)
1 medium head of cabbage
salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder

First, I pour my tomato sauce in my dutch oven, and fill the pan almost halfway with water; put on medium heat to start simmering awhile. Then, chop the cabbage and add to the soup. Dice the Spam in whatever size pieces you desire, adding to the cabbage soup. As it starts to cook, sprinkle in the onion powder, garlic, salt, and pepper to your desired taste. Let it cook until the cabbage is tender but not soggy (about 20-30 minutes). It's a very simple, quick, but tasty dish!

1 comment:

  1. Im from Hawaii, this sounds great!! We love spam here, so any new recipies with spam sounds delicious..
    Thank you..

    ReplyDelete